Canada Day: a Sherbrooke resident accused of trying to strangle a policewoman

Canada Day: a Sherbrooke resident accused of trying to strangle a policewoman


The man accused of strangling a policewoman during protests against health measures the day before Canada Day in Ottawa is a Sherbrooke resident who has already been pinned for insulting a municipal elected official and obstructing to a police officer. 

Four charges have been brought against Charle Laurendeau, 29, the most serious being that of having attempted to assault the police officer in question. The other three counts are linked to the assault on the latter as well as the disruption of her work and the peace.

Mr. Laurendeau was still detained on Thursday, the judge of the Criminal Court of Ontario having refused to release him twice, on July 1 and 5. He is due to appear on July 14. 

The incident took place on June 30, the day before Canada Day, at the site of the National War Memorial, near of Parliament.

Images of the incident available on social networks show a major commotion between demonstrators and police which ended in several very strong arrests on the site of the Monument. 

Two other men were arrested and detained at the same time, Andreas Alexopoulos, a 25-year-old Montrealer, and Calvin Tortolo, a 30-year-old Torontonian. 

Despite assault charges at the location of a police officer, they were both released on July 1 after posting bail of $5,000 each. 

This is not Mr. Laurendeau's first blunder. In November 2020, he was sentenced to pay a $296 fine for obstructing a police officer in Sherbrooke. Then, in April 2021, he was fined for having “insulted an elected official or a civil servant”, still in Sherbrooke. 

A relative who did not want to be identified explained that the he defendant lived with mental health issues and a mild form of autism. He would refuse any form of help from the public system or from his family. 

The name listed in the Quebec plumitif is Charle Laurendeau. However, the accused used the name Charle Philippe Beaulieu during his representations to the Ottawa criminal court since he has two first names and two last names. 

Contrary to the episode of the “freedom convoy” that occurred last January and February in the federal capital, the Ottawa Police Service awaited the demonstrators firmly. The police presence was omnipresent throughout the weekend. 

-With the collaboration of Nicolas Brasseur, Bureau of investigation