China: Canadian diplomats banned from attending the trial of a tycoon

China: Canadian diplomats banned from attending tycoon's trial

UPGRADE DAY

Canadian diplomats in China have been denied access to the court where Chinese-Canadian tycoon Xiao Jianhua was being tried, the Canadian embassy said on Tuesday a day after the man's trial business.

The man had mysteriously disappeared in 2017 from the Hong Kong hotel where he lived. Reputed to be close to the top Chinese Communist leaders, he had according to press reports been abducted by Beijing agents.

Founder of the Tomorrow conglomerate, present in the banking, real estate and insurance sectors, Xiao Jianhua was at the time one of the richest men in China, with an estimated fortune of 6 billion dollars.

Since his disappearance, little information had filtered on the tycoon, considered a Canadian citizen by Ottawa, until the Canadian Embassy confirmed on Monday that he would be tried the same day.

“Canada has made several requests to attend the trial. Our presence was refused by the Chinese authorities,” the embassy said in a statement on Tuesday.

The Chinese authorities and media have so far remained silent on the case, which could be linked to the anti-corruption campaign led by President Xi Jinping.

Asked on Monday about the trial, a spokesman for the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs declared during a regular press briefing “not to be aware” of this file.

The alleged kidnapping of the billionaire in 2017 would have taken place in defiance of Hong Kong laws which prohibited then it is up to the Chinese police to act in the semi-autonomous territory.

His disappearance had caused a stir in Hong Kong, with some residents fearing they would be forcibly taken to mainland China, where the justice system is sometimes opaque and influenced by the ruling Communist Party.

These concerns were at the heart of major protests that rocked Hong Kong in 2019. They were sparked by opposition to a local government bill that would have allowed extraditions to mainland China.

The Xiao case Jianhua recalls the disappearance in 2015 of five Hong Kong booksellers, known for publishing books with salacious content on the Chinese political class.

All had vanished to resurface in mainland China, at the hands of the authorities .

In response to the 2019 protests in Hong Kong, the central government in 2020 imposed a national security law on the territory. It has since allowed agents from mainland China to operate legally in the former British colony.