A 16-year-old boy from Saguenay got quite the scare when his cell phone burst into flames just inches from his head while he slept.
His mother, Josée Boies, wants to raise awareness.
“Like every night, he falls asleep on it,” Boies said. That's what he did. He put the phone on the charge and put it next to him.
Specifically on the mattress of his bed, without suspecting that the device was going to catch fire.
“When he woke up, there were sparks coming out of the phone,” his mother said. He left holding it with his fingertips. When he put it in the kitchen sink, the sparks started again so he kicked it out.”
He didn't get burned, but the smoke detector went off. triggered.
The mattress and a piece of furniture were also damaged.
“There was heavy black smoke, very thick. Her father told me that it was very opaque and that the smell was very strong,” said Josée Boies.
Like many people, the mother of the family also had the bad habit of s 'fall asleep with his phone, before the incident happened.
“We all tell ourselves that we don't want to run out of battery tomorrow,” she said. The telephone is part of our life. He is connected to us. We think it won't happen to us, it's just going to happen to others, but no.”
She alerted Samsung, the manufacturer of the device, who asked her to return it for analysis.
“They told me it was going into the hands of the highest leadership and it wasn't taken lightly,” she said. If no one says so, there will be no progress or repairs, and worse incidents will happen.”
For the professionals at Mobile Expert, this is an exceptional case.
“Here in the store, you never see that,” assured the chief technician, Robin Tremblay. The worst you can see are the batteries that swell, but suddenly catching fire is very rare.”
Mr. Tremblay hasn't assessed the device, but he thinks he knows why the battery overheated.
“The device probably couldn't breathe,” he explained. He was in an enclosed place where he couldn't expel his heat. We avoid that as much as possible because the device has to breathe. It's okay to leave it near you overnight, but at least leave it on a piece of furniture, flat, so that it doesn't slip between two mattresses for example or on the floor.”
He also recommends using manufacturer-certified wires to charge your phone and unplugging it as soon as the process is complete.
Katrine Johns has been a reporter on the news desk since 2013. Before that she wrote about young adolescence and family dynamics for Styles and was the legal affairs correspondent for the Metro desk. Before joining The Gal Post, Katrine Johns worked as a staff writer at the Village Voice and a freelancer for Newsday, The Wall Street Journal, GQ and Mirabella. To get in touch, contact me through my firstname.lastname@example.org 1-800-268-7128