A hitman who spent the last 19 years of his life in prison and begged the court to give him one last chance may finally ask to be released early.< /strong>
This is the decision rendered by a jury, Wednesday morning, at the Montreal courthouse, in the case of Jean-Guy Lambert.
“He was very emotional under the circumstances. He is an extremely sick man who does not have a very high life expectancy, ”says his lawyer Sandra Brouillette, in reference to his client's cancer, his fight against COVID and his four heart attacks in recent years.
The 76-year-old had emotionally testified last week in hopes of benefiting from the “faint hope clause”.
This clause once allowed a sentenced to life in prison to apply for parole sooner than expected.
In his case, Lambert was granted parole after almost 19 years in prison, rather than 25 years.
$25,000 which is expensive
He has been serving a life sentence since 2003 for having executed a contract on the brothers Robert and Elias Fattouch six years earlier in exchange for $25,000.
“[The sponsor] wanted to get rid of the two brothers, because one of them had an affair with his wife while he was detained in the United States, indicates a report filed in court. In addition, the Fattouch would have […] used his European contacts in the field of stolen vehicles.”
The contract was fulfilled and although Lambert was not the shooter, Lambert was convicted of premeditated murder as well as attempted murder, since one of the two survived.
After all his years behind bars, the septuagenarian told Judge France Charbonneau that he had witnessed atrocities.
“It smells of violence, there's a crazy atmosphere, it's dangerous. I saw people being stabbed, having their throats slit, I spent years in my cell, I still wonder how I am still here,” he said.
“This we see, if we tell it, people don't believe us. I could be capable”, had pleaded the one who followed several programs in order to better understand his criminality.
He could wait up to six months before meeting the Parole Board of Canada, according to his lawyer .
Katrine Johns has been a reporter on the news desk since 2013. Before that she wrote about young adolescence and family dynamics for Styles and was the legal affairs correspondent for the Metro desk. Before joining The Gal Post, Katrine Johns worked as a staff writer at the Village Voice and a freelancer for Newsday, The Wall Street Journal, GQ and Mirabella. To get in touch, contact me through my email@example.com 1-800-268-7128