Good weather, crowded terraces, tons of spectators and artists in love with Quebec City, the Festival d'été de Québec (FEQ) is off to a resounding start for its return after two years of absence.
“Exceptional results, the weather, the people and the fact that the stages are all downtown […] It's crazy. We are very happy,” rejoices Émile Lebel, manager of the Ozone Grande Allée.
Jean-Frédéric Laberge, who is nevertheless a regular at major events as co-owner of the Dagobert for many years, is impressed by the monster departure of the FEQ.
“ After the shows, there are 50- 60,000 people in the street, it's fun, it's excessively good. We refused 2,500 people yesterday [Saturday]. »
On the other side of the street, the co-owner of the restaurant Faite à l'os, Emmanuel Côté, admits that the traffic of the first five days is beyond his expectations.
“The world is here, the weather is there, there's a great line-up, it's really great so far”, he draws up a balance sheet while wondering about the weather forecasts for the next few days. days.
Festival-goers take advantage of the pedestrian streets.
Even if the Festival d'été de Québec has not presented a show for a rare time since 1988 at Place d'Youville, the street Saint-Jean pedestrian area has been packed since last Wednesday.
Before the shows, the festival-goers are very numerous and after, the pubs and restaurant-bars fill up until closing time.
Olivier Ménard, owner of Cohen, a bar which he describes as clandestine Jeans.
Olivier Ménard, partner at the Shaker restaurant and owner of the speakeasy-style Le Cohen bar admits that this year merchants were wondering whether the already very high traffic of the famous rue Saint-Jean was going to be there during the festival.
“We didn't know if it was going to go downstairs, but there are a lot of people. Saturday, after the show, it was full. We have a private bar upstairs [Le Cohen] and the Shaker downstairs. We couldn't bring anyone in anymore. »
Despite a great start, some negative points emerged. Several readers have told us that the sound quality left something to be desired since the beginning of the Festival, on the side of the stands.
The problem would have been especially noticed during the concert of Luke Combs, Friday evening. < /p>
When asked about this on Saturday, the FEQ's chief programmer, Louis Bellavance, said he had not heard of it, but suggested that with the changes made to the Plains site, in particular the new stage, adjustments might be needed.
“There might be a sound hole in that corner. I'm going to investigate.
Another downside, artists who perform on the Plains of Abraham have criticized the lack of participation and the late arrival of festival-goers from the pre- Gold stage.
A situation that has irritated many for many years.
– With the participation of Cédric Bélanger
Got a scoop for us?
Do you have something to share with us about this story?
Do you have a scoop that our readers might be interested in?
Katrine Johns has been a reporter on the news desk since 2013. Before that she wrote about young adolescence and family dynamics for Styles and was the legal affairs correspondent for the Metro desk. Before joining The Gal Post, Katrine Johns worked as a staff writer at the Village Voice and a freelancer for Newsday, The Wall Street Journal, GQ and Mirabella. To get in touch, contact me through my email@example.com 1-800-268-7128