Quebec mountaineer found dead on K2

Quebec mountaineer found dead on K2


K2, the wild mountain, took another life last weekend. Quebec mountaineer Richard Cartier was found dead on the flanks of the second highest peak in the world, culminating at 8611 meters in northern Pakistan.

Last seen between Camps 2 and 1 during a descent after reaching Camp 4 at 7800 meters above sea level, the climber had been missing since the weekend. Rescue teams had launched a search operation slowed down by bad weather.

It wasn't until last night that the body of the elderly man in his 60s was found about 6500 meters above sea level, at what is dubbed on the Japanese camp on the mountain.

< p>A doctor in the Laurentians, Dr. Cartier was part of a small expedition that also included Quebecer Justin Dubé-Fahmy. Throughout the adventure in the mountain range of Karakoram guided by the operator Adventure Pakistan, this one gave news by the post of social media.

However, he hasn't written anything since last July 21 when the team was rotating on the mountain.

“We went to Japanese camp 3, at 7,000 meters. We thought it was camp 2.5, but no! Richard, Matt (Eakin) and I were burnt out. Sixteen hours of climbing. Today (the 21st), we touched camp 4 at 7600 meters. Back to base camp tomorrow. It is starting to get cold. We are very tired after these two big days.”

  • Listen to Alexandre Dubé's interview with François-David Rouleau, sports journalist for the Journal de Montréal and the Journal de Québec on QUB radio:

It was during this very dangerous descent that Richard Cartier and his rope companion, Australian Matthew Eakin, met a tragic fate. The body of Dr. Cartier was found, according to information relayed by the Himalayan Times newspaper, frozen at the Japanese camp located at about 6500 meters above sea level. Eakin's body was spotted at the foot of the Abruzzo road, near the advanced base camp, located about 5800 meters above sea level. He would have had a fatal fall.  

However, according to a mountaineering expert consulted by the Journal, the information from the Himalayan Times concerning the Quebec mountaineer does not hold water. At the end of July, at this altitude, it is impossible for the body to be found frozen. Even after days of inclement weather climbing.  

Dr. Cartier's family received the terrible news from base camp.

More details will follow.

You have any scoop to send us?

Do you have any information to share with us about this story?

Do you have a scoop that our readers might be interested in?

Email us at or call us directly at 1 800-63SCOOP.