The Service de police de la Ville de Québec (SPVQ) has been asked to reopen an investigation to “re-examine the 2014 sexual assault allegations involving four Gatineau Olympiques players”.< /strong>
Thursday evening, on Twitter, the journalist of TSN Rick Westhead, who had brought to light, at the end of May, the scandal involving Hockey Canada, indicated that the police of Quebec had opened an investigation internal.
New: Quebec City police have opened an internal investigation to re-examine 2014 sexual assault allegations involving four Gatineau Olympiques players, Bloc MP Sebastien Lemire told me.@seblemire
— Rick Westhead (@rwesthead) August 11, 2022
The information provided by Westhead was reported to him by Bloc Québécois MP Sébastien Lemire.
However, the latter presented a slightly different version in a statement sent to the Journal at the end of the evening.
Lemire explains that he questioned the commissioner of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (LHJMQ) Gilles Courteau about this case of alleged gang rape, during a committee in the House of Commons studying the controversy at Hockey Canada.
Gilles Courteau replied that an investigation had already taken place in this case, but that if “the Police Department shows interest in reopening this investigation, we will certainly cooperate in the investigation”. , according to Mr. Lemire.
“I then informed the SPVQ of this statement and I subsequently received an acknowledgment of receipt confirming that the information had been transmitted to the investigators responsible for analysis,” said Mr. Lemire, spokesperson for the Bloc. Quebec in terms of sports. Thus, there is no confirmation that the investigation has indeed been relaunched.
The SPVQ does not confirm anything
Contacted by Le Journal in the evening, the SPVQ did not want to confirm, for reasons of confidentiality, whether it is reactivating this investigation.
But in general, the police force indicates that it does not hesitate to reopen investigations when new elements surface, argued spokesperson David Pelletier.
A file review committee of sexual assault was put in place in October 2017 and “any request for review in this matter is treated with rigor and diligence”, he assures.
Alleged rape collective
This incident caused a stir in the media a few years ago. The assault allegedly occurred in January 2014, at the Hilton Hotel in Quebec City, while the Gatineau team was passing through. A young woman from Trois-Rivières was reportedly the victim of a gang rape in a bedroom.
It was only a year later that the complainant decided to file a complaint with the Trois-Rivières police. Rivières, after hearing allegations of indecent acts again targeting Olympiques players that allegedly took place at a Boston Pizza restaurant in Gatineau.
The file was then transferred to the Quebec police, but the investigation did not lead to any charges. The complainant had criticized the work of the SPVQ investigators following this decision.
“The Quebec City investigators acted really badly with me. They didn't take me seriously,” she denounced at the microphone of a radio station in the Old Capital.
The QMJHL will collaborate
< p>“We are aware that the police may reopen the investigation and we will offer our full cooperation throughout the process,” said QMJHL chief operating officer Karl Jahnke.
To his knowledge, the SPVQ would not have come into contact with the QMJHL. “If they contact us, we will collaborate throughout the process.”
Do you have any scoop for us?
Do you have something to share with us about this story?
Do you have a scoop that our readers might be interested in?
Katrine Johns has been a reporter on the news desk since 2013. Before that she wrote about young adolescence and family dynamics for Styles and was the legal affairs correspondent for the Metro desk. Before joining The Gal Post, Katrine Johns worked as a staff writer at the Village Voice and a freelancer for Newsday, The Wall Street Journal, GQ and Mirabella. To get in touch, contact me through my email@example.com 1-800-268-7128