Surgery abroad: Montrealer dies after three months in intensive care in Turkey

Surgery abroad: Montreal woman dies after three months to intensive care in Turkey


A 38-year-old Montrealer, whose generosity was widely praised by loved ones, died after more than three months in intensive care at a Turkish hospital following bariatric surgery that turned into a nightmare.

“I'm not well, I'm depressed, stressed. I have lost the woman of my life”, launches, devastated, Sami Touggari.

His wife, Soumia Khabzagua, died last Monday in a private hospital in Istanbul, Turkey.  

The pastry chef had left Quebec on March 28 to undergo a sleeve gastrectomy (sleeve) for the sum of $10,000. 

This type of bariatric surgery for people with severe obesity involves removing two thirds of the stomach in order to reduce its size, and at the same time the patient's appetite. 

She had chosen Turkey for its lower costs, faster turnaround times and less stringent requirements than in Quebec.

Sami Touggari and his children paid their last respects to Mrs. Khabzagua in a mosque in Montreal North.

A massacre

But from the start of the surgery, significant internal bleeding occurred, even affecting the aorta, according to a short medical document consulted by Le Journal.

“It was a massacre, it's shameful to see people like that […] The behavior of the doctors is inhuman”, affirms Ahadda Ghandjaoui, who went to Turkey to the bedside of her friend. < /p>

The mother of three, who immigrated from Algeria about ten years ago, was in a coma for several weeks. Her condition then deteriorated very rapidly in the days preceding her death.

Ms. Khabzagua's brother was then in the middle of long procedures in order to be able to visit her one last time. 

“Soumia's brother received the power of attorney in the morning and she died the following night,” breathes her friend Dalila Ghazali. 

Sami Touggari deplores the lack of support from Ottawa in the case of his wife.  

“She entered Turkey with a Canadian passport, they are the ones who should help her”, he says, specifying that it is rather the Algerian consular services who supported him in his efforts. 

In particular, he knocked on the doors of the Canadian consulate in Istanbul, his federal deputy and the Canadian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  

The Montrealer, in intensive care at the Turkish hospital following her operation.

In Remembrance

Before Mrs. Khabzagua's family flew to Algiers, where her body will be repatriated, relatives insisted on Wednesday evening to give her a last tribute in a mosque in Montreal North. 

“Leaving healthy and coming back in a coffin, I can't accept that. It’s inhuman,” sighs Amal Mechti, a co-worker.

“She was an adorable, helpful, kind woman who thinks of her family. She helped us, gave us advice,” recalls Kahina Tahi, one of her friends. 

At the same time, relatives of Ms. BHT Hospital, where she was staying.

In particular, they want to obtain a copy of the CD of the operation and its detailed medical report, which the hospital refuses to provide.

The travel agency International Clinics, with which Ms. Khabzagua had done business, and BHT Hospital did not respond to Journal inquiries.

Causes to be determined

Following pressure from the family's Turkish lawyer, an autopsy was carried out in Istanbul to find out the exact causes of death. The results are not yet known. 

A second autopsy will also be carried out by the Algerian authorities upon receipt of the remains. 

“If the body of a person who died outside Quebec is not transported to Quebec […], there will be no intervention by a coroner”, specifies for its part the Bureau du coroner. 

Do you have a scoop to send us?

Do you have any information to share with us about this story?

Do you have a scoop that our readers might be interested in?

Email us at or call us directly at 1 800-63SCOOP.