Aware of the fears of apple producers, the Ministry of Transport wants to be reassuring and finally confirms that no lane will be cut off on the Côte du Pont de L'Île-d'Orléans during the next season. U-pick.
The press release issued on Monday, concerning the preparatory work for the future cable-stayed bridge expected in 2027, mentioned obstacles to come from mid-August until November. This had producers fearing the worst, anticipating massive congestion on The Island during the busiest time of the year.
Certain major punctual obstacles – which will require alternating traffic with a flagman – will be unavoidable during the reconstruction of the culvert in the Côte du Pont (for approximately one week 24 hours a day) or during the laying of asphalt. However, no specific date had been conveyed on Monday on this subject. The MTQ planned to transmit information “in a timely manner”.
September 1 to October 15
The ministry clarified its intentions yesterday , confirming that there would be no lane closures from September 1 to October 15. It says “do everything we can to limit the repercussions” during periods of high tourist traffic.
“The work requiring alternating traffic will take place after the apple season,” said MTQ spokesperson Nicolas Vigneault.
Alternating traffic will not be permitted either. weekend during work on Chemin Royal and Route Prévost, he added.
Collaboration with the mayors
The Warden of the MRC de L'Île-d'Orléans Lina Labbé and the mayor of Saint-Pierre, Sylvain Bergeron, say they are in close contact with the MTQ and have long forwarded their requests to limit the repercussions.
Ms Labbé commended the efforts of the MTQ and criticized worried producers for unnecessarily scaring tourists on our pages the day before, before the August 17 information session.
“ They don't help each other… It's dangerous that they scare the world away. It's certainly not fun [a big construction site], but we want a new bridge so it has to be done.
Katrine Johns has been a reporter on the news desk since 2013. Before that she wrote about young adolescence and family dynamics for Styles and was the legal affairs correspondent for the Metro desk. Before joining The Gal Post, Katrine Johns worked as a staff writer at the Village Voice and a freelancer for Newsday, The Wall Street Journal, GQ and Mirabella. To get in touch, contact me through my email@example.com 1-800-268-7128